My Jewelbot Won't Show any Buzzes or Lights!

My sister has a Jewelbot and I was going to set it up to pair with my Jewelbot but it wouldn’t show any signs of life! I assumed the battery was dead and charged it for many hours but the problem still persisted. The problem isn’t the wire or anything like that since my own Jewelbot charges and functions perfectly! Can someone help please? I really want to start sending secret codes to my sis! :slight_smile:

definitely! What happens when you plug it in? does nothing happen? do any of the lights come on?

Nothing happens at all. Although, I do hear my computer make this sound whenever something is connected to the laptop. I don’t know if that means anything.

Can you do me a favor? When it’s plugged in can you use a pin to hit the reset button inside the device? Let me know what happens. If it doesn’t respond to that we will absolutely mail you a new one.

Nothing still happens! :frowning:

OH no! this guy needs to be replaced. Can you DM me your address?

Sure! I just did at hi@jewelbots.com!

Great! We will replace.

Thank you so much! I really appreciate it! :slight_smile:

@sara Thank you so much! My Jewelbots came in today and I can finally pair it with my sister! Thank you! :smiley::smiley:

This happened to my daughter and her friend as well. I’ve tested a fix and it makes a world of difference.

Flaky default FTDI Virtual COM Port (VCP) drivers included by Microsoft and Apple are a common pattern in these issues.

There’s an FTDI VCP driver fix applicable to Windows machines:

There’s an FTDI VCP driver fix applicable to macOS High Sierra:

I’m not sure about Linux distros. I haven’t seen a lot of issues reported. The Linux drivers may be fine, but a similar approach to Windows and macOS (installing the latest genuine FTDI VCP drivers) should work for Linux as well.

On my iMac, I can repeatedly run the Factory Firmware Update and upload sketches after applying the macOS fix.

After applying the latest FTDI Virtual COM Port (VCP) drivers, you should be able to use Arduino IDE to update the firmware on the Jewelbot. If that doesn’t appear to work, try hitting the reset button (a pinhole button on the side of the Jewelbot between the NE and SE LEDs hittable with a unfolded paper clip) and then running the Upload again. Your Jewelbot should show the rainbow sequence after that.

If you get there, you’re all set. If not, you may want to reach out to Jewelbots. Definitely try to troubleshoot first, because a replacement Jewelbot won’t fix your computer’s drivers :wink: You’ll just wind up waiting longer.